Ceiling Survey Reveals a Glimpse of Former Decorative Glory
A ceiling survey revealed a glimpse into the former decorative glory of Our Lady Help of Christians Church, at Prescot. Following fire damage at the church, Womersleys carried out a survey of the lime plastered walls and ceiling and decorative cast plaster details and prepared a repair schedule.
Prior to the main survey, as part of the steam cleaning of smoke damage, later plain acrylic paints where removed revealing a cherub painted in oils. There was originally a painting of the ascension above the High Altar and this is likely to have been part of it. This painting together with north facing windows now blocked, and a pulpit and balcony, now removed, where part of a much more elaborately decorated and devoted church.
The present chapel was constructed as demand for Catholics worship increased and is likely to date between 1850, after Catholic Church building was legalised, and 1887, a date on one of the roof trusses.